Monday, October 08, 2012

MoFo 8: Long Live Tomato & Rice Soup

Did you know that Mr. Vegan Eats & Treats loves tomatoes + rice more than any other thing in the world? Always, he is asking me: "Can we have tomato soup with rice?" And any time I make anything remotely tomatoey, he jumps into the kitchen and says "Are you making rice?!?!" I even - briefly - considered doing all different varieties of tomato soup with rice for MoFo.

Now, I am a bit of a hippy - I was raised in Santa Cruz in the 70's for God's sake! - and I love me some brown rice. But noooooo, not Mr. VE&T. He will only eat white rice. Truly. He loves white rice so much, and he can go on and on about it - in the same way that great poets can write love sonnets to their beloved ladies. Sometimes, I revolt, and I make brown rice... and do you know what he does? He goes down to the Thai restaurant one block from our house and buys white rice! ha ha. He is not kidding around.



Well. This soup, Tomato and Rice Soup with Roasted Garlic and Navy Beans from Veganomicon is truly a peacemaking recipe. Because, it is a tomato + rice soup, that Mr. VE&T loves, without even realizing that it was made with long grain brown rice. Mwahahahaha! I have made this many times, and we both really love this soup - but this time around, I finally told him the difficult truth. This was brown rice that he was enjoying. He took it all in stride, but insisted that the whole thing would be even better if it had been made with white rice! Maybe for his birthday...

15 comments:

  1. Ha! I admire his dedication, though I'm the other way around-- I'll go out of my way to swap out boring old white rice for yummy chewy nutty brown!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is such a cute story, and the drawings are adorable!! It really is the simple things that bring us the most pleasure, isn't it? Like Coldandsleepy, I'll choose brown rice any day of the week, not just because of its nutritional merits but also because I think it's more chewy and delicious. But I like it that Mr. VE&T fully embraces the white rice.

    My husband and I are kind of similar that way with seasoned and unseasoned rice. When we're having a meal with rice as a side, I like it just plain with a little salt, so that I can really taste the rice. He wants all kinds of spices on it - cumin, paprika, turmeric, coriander... So I take mine out first and then he seasons his. I love spicy food, but when it comes to rice, plain and cozy is best. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. HAHA!! My partner Paul does the SAME THING! He claims he hates brown rice, and anytime we eat together (which isn't often, because he's an omni), he insists on making his own white rice instead eating the healthy brown stuff. But I have slipped brown rice into a few dishes without his knowledge.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha, Nick definitely likes white rice way more than brown too! I don't know why I've never tried this soup, I'll have to try it soon now that autumn's here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a great post, and the funny thing is that everyone's talking about the interpersonal rice dynamics, not the actual recipe. Ah ... relationships at work. As you know, all I have do is throw spinach in something, and Daddy will automatically show interest. XO

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous12:44 PM

    sounds super comforting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's so funny! And I giggled like an idiot when I saw the illustration of Mr. VE&T all happy with the tomato and rice soup. So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous2:12 PM

    Ha ha! Jacob was the same way about white rice until he finally realized I was never going to make two batches of rice for one meal! Lucky me that he never thought of buying some from a restaurant! We love tomato soup -- that recipe is definitely going in my queue!

    ReplyDelete
  9. i love tomato and rice soup! this one sounds amazing

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this story and can totally relate to it! My man is exactly the same, massive tomato soup lover, brown rice hater which is probably why I have skipped over this recipe in Veganomicon. I'll have to try this out on him and see if he notices the brown rice,!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I bet musty loves that maurice sendak poem, but just with tomato instead of chick'n.

    ox
    kittee

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous10:25 PM

    I love all your little sketches that go along with each post. That soup looks lovely and I must make it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Eeeehehehehe, I had a bit of a giggle that you'd pulled one over Mr VE&T! I am sure that sometimes when my bf says he doesn't like something, that he really would if he didn't know he was eating it ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am embarrassed to admit I am a total tomato and rice soup virgin. Guess I should use Cherry Tomatoes for this recipe?

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love tomato rice soup. I saw nigella make one once that was so ridiculously easy that I've been copying her ever since. I haven't made this one yet but it sounds awesome.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, they really make my day! Thanks for reading my blog! I'm sorry I had to turn on word verification and comment moderation - I was getting so many spam comments!